Home Security - 12 Top Tips
12 Top Tips to Prevent a Break-in
In 2018 there was 424,846 incidents of domestic burglary in the UK, that's 1163 a day!
12 Top Tips to help you prevent a break-in
- Is your CCTV recording? You don't want to miss the incident if something happens!
Did you know? 90% of burglars will avoid homes with a CCTV installation.
- Don't let your subscriptions pile up! If you subscribe to a newspaper or magazine, make sure someone collects it for you or pause the delivery for a while. If they start piling up on your door step it's a clear sign to burglars that no one is home.
Making you a prime target!
- Leave a light on... To give the impression that your house is occupied, leave a light on or the radio. Use timers so they switch on for couple of hours in the evening, but don't leave them on all night. It's a good idea to invest in some external floodlights that are motion activated too!
- Leave your curtains open... Closed curtains during the day is a sure sign to burglars that no one is at home. If you want them closed at night, ask a neighbour or family member to pop round to open and close them for you.
- Always set your Burglar alarm... Burglar alarms are really effective, when they're switched on! The majority of burglaries at homes with set alarms are unsuccessful!
Did you know? 70% of people don't bother setting their alarm!
- Put your keys away... Don't leave keys lying around your house, burglars will break in to steal them, especially car keys! Never leave spare keys under door mats and plant pots! Burglars know where to look and will let themselves in!
- Let your neighbours know... Let your neighbours know when you're away, they can keep an eye out for any suspicious behaviour around your property, which they would probably ignore if they thought you were home.
- Don't broadcast it... Don't broadcast the fact that you're going away, you never know who is listening!
Did you know? 78% of burglars admit to using social media to find out who is on holiday!
- Valuables... A burglar will spend as little time as possible in your house, usually 8-12mins, so put valuables in places they won't look, such as the kitchen or nursery.
- Safes... You could put your valuables in a safe, burglars don't want to spend precious minutes trying to break open a safe!
- Don't just lock your doors... You don't want to miss the incident if something happens!
Don't forget lock up your shed and gates, use heavy duty padlocks!
Article Posted: 18/09/2019 15:19:34